Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Spearheading Turkey Day

Wish me luck readers. I'm taking charge tomorrow, Thanksgiving Day, and preparing dinner for my lackluster Filipino Family. The meal will be your basic turkey with rice instead of mashed potates, pumpkin and custard pie (store-bought), and gyoza/potstickers for starters. I might save the gyoza for Friday, when I attend an actual dinner with friends that care about the ceremony of feasting. Does anyone out there have similar families with a disinterest towards the holidays.

I'm not too brokenhearted; the disappointment was to be expected like a Sedaris memoir waiting to happen. That's kind of how my mom's side of the family works. Content. Modest. Anticlimactic. When I do manage to round up the gang for a celebration, as I did at my 23rd birthday, the result does become rompous.

Grandma, elated with joy in her fragile state, starts behaving like a 2 year old. Old uncle, about the same age as my grandmother but married to her daughter, my aunt, turns into a rascal. My aunt is grateful and my younger uncle remains critical. Oh, and there's the partially estranged uncle that might show up. Note to self: invite estranged uncle to increase family relations, if not tensions. I'm going to have a Thanksgiving, goddamnit, even if it means I have to strap them down and force feed them with chopsticks.

I better get on Santa's good list for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment